How To Add Your Local Business To Apple Maps
Apple Maps (AM) is the third most popular map service on the market today and if you have a business, you WANT to be on it. With 23 million monthly unique visitors, they are right behind Google’s 154 million and Nokia HERE’s 27.7 million
So you may be wondering: Is it worth the time for a local business?
As you’ll soon discover, you bet it’s a worthwhile investment and a key part of your local search and review management strategy.
In this remainder of this article, I will be covering the following:
- What is Apple Maps?
- Apple Maps vs. Google Maps
- Siri with Apple Maps
- Apple Maps and CarPlay
- Who uses Apple Maps
- How does Apple Maps handle Ratings and Reviews
- How to get your business listed in Apple Maps
- The future for Apple Maps
- Why Apple Maps should be a Priority for your business
To begin with, this map service is a web mapping service exclusive to iOS, iPadOS, WatchOs and macOS. As the name suggests it’s built by Apple Inc., but before launch in 2012 they announced that their app would include turn-by-turn navigation, 3D maps with Flyovers from your phone or tablet (or computer), as well as Siri – all of which are designed exclusively for you!
In Case you didn’t already know, Maps in Apple offers a variety of features that most people find extremely useful. Features like:
- Turn-by-turn navigation with spoken instructions for vehicles, pedestrians, and public transportation.
- Apple customers can use the app while driving via CarPlay, and via Siri, Apple’s voice assistant app.
- It can also be used to see real-time traffic information. Siri, Apple’s virtual assistant, is integrated into navigation.
- Maps display points of interest provided by approximately twenty companies, including Booking.com, Foursquare, TripAdvisor, and Yelp.
- Users can drop pins on the map to save places for later retrieval.
- The satellite view features Flyovers, three-dimensional satellite views in designated locations.
- The Nearby feature displays points of interest for each category. Points are shown with their names, distances, and reviews on Yelp.
This particular system also integrates with many third-party providers, such as Yelp and Booking which means you can use it to find a restaurant or hotel without having to switch back and forth from one service’s app to another. How cool is that?!
Apple Maps (AM) vs. Google Maps
So what’s the difference between these two maps? AM is an exclusive application to Apple devices, while Google Maps is available for both Android and iOS. There are some important differences that you should be aware of before installing either app on your device:
- Apple shares data contextually taking a subtle approach. Google gives the user everything.
- Apple has flyover mode, a 3D landscape of buildings and structures. Google has Street View.
- Apple integrates Siri tightly with Apple Maps, and other apps in your phone (e.g., location data for your photos) tell Siri where you’d like to go, and navigation is seamless.
- Google Voice Assistant works in a similar fashion but isn’t as tightly integrated with the rest of the software and hardware in your device.
- Both Apple and Google integrate Maps with mobile devices, vehicles, watches, and smart speakers.
- Apple Maps doesn’t hold onto your data! Apple goes out of their way to protect your privacy. According to Apple, “When you use Apple Maps, your route from A to B is scrambled into sections on Apple servers because nobody else should know your entire route.“
If you want a navigation experience that’s seamless, one where the app is natively integrated with all of apple products, then it may be the best fit for you.
On the other hand, Google Maps is the best mapping tool on the market, providing you with detailed data and giving you access to a wide variety of information.
Both of these platforms are the best of both worlds and in my opinion, it’s a really good idea to add your business to both Google and Apple Maps.
Siri with Apple Maps
Using Siri, Apple’s voice assistant, you can perform several different types of searches starting off with the activation of the app by saying “Hey Siri.”
For example, you might say things like:
- Hey Siri, take me home.
- Hey Siri, where is the nearest Pizza shop?
- Hey Siri, what’s the traffic like in Philadelphia?
- Hey Siri, what time is the Phillies game tonight?
- Hey Siri, show me Independence Hall in Philadelphia?
Siri is remarkably intuitive, handling searches with several variables.
AM With CarPlay
With CarPlay, iPhone users can now start their car with a simple touch of the screen. And even better than that, you’ll never have to look down at your phone again – just take advantage of Siri’s voice control! And yes, It’s all hands-free of course.
CarPlay with Siri voice control gives you the hands-free experience and navigation of AM without ever taking your eyes off the road. You can use both car controls as well or report issues using Apple Maps.
Who uses this maps system? Is this for you?
If you’re an Apple user then your maps are on apple’s map service. It was the default mapping app for all of their devices until Google Maps replaced it in 2012.
After all this said, this is why Apple Maps is important.
Apple says 1.65 billion Apple devices are in active use overall and 900 million to 1 billion+ users in 2019 with a total of 4.66 billion internet users worldwide as of 2021
and, Here’s why that should matter to you.
Apple Maps is more popular than Google Map on iPhones and Apple devices, as evidenced by its 3x greater usage. Yea, read that again!
But wait, There’s more.
Did you know that DuckDuckGo uses Apple Maps to display maps and navigation data in their search results? I just learned this too!
Although DuckDuckGo doesn’t collect user information, it’s difficult to pinpoint an exact number of users. However, earlier this year they hit an important milestone: 100 million searches per day!
More people are using DuckDuckGo and although this may not seem like much, it’s significant because Duck Duck Go’s new users come from Google and Bing. It’s indirect competition!
This should be another huge reason to consider getting your business on Apple Maps!
How does AM handle ratings and reviews?
Initially, Apple Maps relied on third-party providers like TripAdvisor and Yelp but has since decided to start rating businesses in their Maps app. For now, these ratings are being provided by third-party sources but it is only a matter of time before Apple decides to offer them themselves.
Apple’s rating system for products, services and businesses went live in 2019 with the MacOS 14 beta 6 update. This thumbs up/down ratings system allows users to rate their favorite things – it is a work in progress!
Apple’s new rating system will allow users to leave reviews about local, regional and national businesses so now is a good time to get in with your business info.
The company has not shared the specific timeframe for adding content to their ratings and reviews yet. They have, however, mentioned that they hope “to add more services and features in future.”
Now that you know all of this helpful information, Here’s how to get your business listed
You can add your Apple Maps listing via Apple Maps Connect. A free Apple ID is required. Here’s how you do it.
- Head over to mapsconnect.apple.com
- Sign in with your Apple ID (you’ll need to create an account if you don’t have one)
- Search for your business using the search fields above. If you don’t see your business, you can also add it
- Once you’ve found your business, you’ll be prompted to verify your account
- Once verified, you’ll be able to edit the content on your page
At this point in time, you can add the following information to your listing:
- Business Name and Phone Number
- Business Address
- Hours of Operation
- Place Status (Open / Closed)
- Links to your apps, website, Yelp, Facebook, Twitter Profiles
- Apple Pay Accepted (or Not)
Apple makes this a simple and straightforward process. Just follow the prompts, provide the necessary info, and your business should be ready to go!
You might be wondering what’s the future AM
Apple Maps is an essential part of the Apple product ecosystem, and it’s a service that offers marketers something different than Google does. Where other platforms want to lure in advertisers with slick marketing campaigns or free services like Waze, Apple prefers focusing on developing groundbreaking new products instead. As their line-up matures, they have moved into creating subscription plans for many features within its map app – such as traffic updates and satellite images.
Apple seems to be taking on Yelp and TripAdvisor with its own ratings service. The features of the reviews will most likely look very different than what we’ve been accustomed too in order for Apple to make a name for itself as an innovator.
This means the time to prepare is now and get in on the ground floor of this today!
Apple Maps should be a priority for your business
If you’ve got a business in this century and you want it to grow and expand, One of the biggest mistakes you could do is putting all your eggs in one basket. Not only does this risk your business, but it can also be an inconvenience for customers who want to leave a review with another site and need you to sign up first before they do so.
This means that while Google receives the lion’s share of reviews, enough negative or mediocre ones could cost them potential new clients down the line if people associate these past stories as current occurrences instead of just bad luck or timing-related incidents.
In order to put a new innovative spin on your digital marketing strategy, take the time for review management. If you notice iOS users in analytics surveys and follow-ups, make sure that Apple Maps is part of your plan moving forward. Particularly because Apple makes it super easy!